Tell Republican Leaders: Support Middle Class Families NOT Tax Cuts for the Richest 2%
When Mitt Romney selected Paul Ryan as his running mate last month, he joined Speaker John Boehner and Senator Mitch McConnell in advancing a dangerous plan that's been rejected by a majority of Americans.
Representative Ryan's plan would take away health care protections for women, slash health care for seniors, and jeopardize health care for 30 million children who rely on Medicaid to get basic health services.
And while the Ryan plan makes all these damaging cuts to health care for American families, it extends massive, unaffordable tax cuts and giveaways to the richest 2%.
Sign our petition to Speaker John Boehner, Senator Mitch McConnell, Governor Mitt Romney, and Representative Paul Ryan. Tell them American families want solutions that help the middle class NOT more tax breaks for the super rich.
Petition to Republican Leaders
As a strong supporter of high-quality, affordable health coverage for all Americans, I want to make clear that I strongly disagree with Representative Ryan's proposed budget plan.
Representative Ryan's budget would cut $1.43 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid, while also rolling back key protections in the Affordable Care Act. This plan would:
- Slash health care for seniors, ending the Medicaid and Medicare programs as we know them;
- Eliminate preventive health services for women, including access to free mammograms and low-cost birth control;
- Cut more than a trillion dollars from Medicaid, a program that helps nearly 15 million seniors and people with disabilities get care in their homes or in nursing facilities;
- Jeopardize health care for 30 million children who rely on Medicaid to get basic health services;
- Privatize Medicare, putting the health insurance industry in control of seniors' health benefits;
- Increase taxes on middle-class families, by taking away tax credits that help millions of Americans buy health insurance; and
- Keep tax cuts for the richest 2%.
This dangerous plan has been endorsed by Republican leaders, but it has already been rejected by American families. I urge Speaker John Boehner, Senator Mitch McConnell, Governor Mitt Romney, and Representative Paul Ryan to stop pushing this dangerous budget that helps the richest 2%, and instead I encourage them to put forward solutions that actually help middle class families.